Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Taxing Time

As I sit in front of the #TurboTax screen, filling out boxes, answering questions, I see my life in mathematical terms. I am aware of theories that all life can be distilled to numbers, that the basis of computers is one's and zero's, that there is a part of Jewish mysticism that is obsessed with numbers and their meaning. I wish I was more intrigued by them. But now the reality of numbers means how much I pay in taxes. I do not mind paying taxes. I am not one who believes we should not have them. I like driving on paved roads, or at least remember when they were paved. Of course I do not want corruption or overpaying for things. No one likes that. I think that value of money is greater the lower on the income scale you are. Just like the length of a year feels shorter the older you are. Its a proportional thing (numbers again). Wealthy people need to pay more. Simple. It's not like they are not going to still have money for their lives. Stop living in fear. Give it away to make more. But some sense of meanness prevails. "I worked for this you should too." Like everyone is given the same set of skills, or circumstances, or dare I say it, Luck. Ok. Now back to the forms.

No comments: